One thing you can expect from the Web3 world is innovation and novel concepts, and because this is new to everyone involved — especially the users — you’ll find yourself looking for guides like this to navigate through.
One such innovation is MetaMask. It is a relatively new addition to the Web3 ecosystem that provides an easy and secure way to manage digital assets.
USDT, on the other hand, is one of the largest stablecoins by market capitalisation. It is a non-volatile crypto coin tied directly to the US dollar and is one of the most popular coins people use on the MetaMask.
In this guide, we’ll discuss in greater detail how to add USDT to MetaMask, but first, let’s get a deeper understanding of this innovation.
What is MetaMask?
MetaMask is a key player in the Ethereum ecosystem as it is a digital wallet you can use for the storage of Ether and tokens built on the Ethereum blockchain, like USDT.
Another key feature that makes it popular is that it is available as a browser extension on most web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc. So, it provides easy access to the web.
Why would you want to add USDT to MetaMask?
USDT is widely accepted by many exchanges and blockchain services, so adding it to your MetaMask wallet gives you the freedom to move it around as you like.
It gives you access to many Web3 services like DeFi applications, maximum utilisation of DApps, and interaction with other decentralised exchanges (DEXs).
Steps to Add USDT to MetaMask
1. Install and set up MetaMask.
Download your MetaMask extension or mobile application, then connect it to the Ethereum Mainnet. This is the default network for all MetaMask wallets; however, you can connect to other networks like Binance Smart Chain, Polygon, Avalanche, etc.
But, you must ensure you’re connected to Ethereum Mainnet before making any switch-ups.
2. Navigate to the Tokens tab
Next, you make your way to the “Tokens” tab on the main dashboard. You’ll find this at the bottom of the screen.
3. Add a custom token
Upon opening the Tokens tab, you’ll find a list of all the tokens on the MetaMask. Then, you select USDT. In the case where you don’t find it, you can enter it manually by entering the contract address, symbol (USDT), and decimals.
However, if you select USDT from the list, a form will open up.
4. Input the USDT contract address
In this form, you’ll be required to fill in the contract address. The other field for the symbol (USDT) will automatically get filled.
5. Confirm and complete the process
After filling these fields, go over them once again to ensure that all fields are correct. Then click on the “Next” button to complete the process. MetaMask will ask for confirmation to add USDT to your wallet.
Agree to this, and in a short while, your USDT will be added to your MetaMask wallet.
Tips and Troubleshooting When Adding USDT to MetaMask
1. Ensure you’re filling in the accurate contract address for USDT, so make sure you have that right. If you’re adding USDT to MetaMask on a different blockchain like Polygon, input the contract address for USDT on that blockchain.
Reliable sites like CoinGecko and CoinMarketCap can provide you with contract addresses for different blockchains.
2. Take extra care when adding custom tokens to MetaMask. There have been incidences where fraudsters create fake tokens bearing close resemblance to popular tokens. So, ensure you add the correct token by verifying the contract address.
3. Before you add USDT to MetaMask, ensure that your gas fee can be covered with the ETH balance you have.
1. If you run into any problems adding USDT to MetaMask, the first step is to ensure you’re using the latest version of the MetaMask.
2. And if you’re still having the same trouble, you should clear your MetaMask cache and cookies.
3. If the trouble persists, try using a different browser.
Using USDT on the MetaMask is a gateway to many other Web3 innovations on the blockchain. To get a well-rounded experience and dive deeply into the new internet (Web3), adding USDT to MetaMask is the start of an exciting journey ahead.
Stay safe as you try your hands on this exciting wallet!